About Esther Yang
Proud Mom. Community Activist. New Yorker.
Esther Yang is a mom, judicial delegate, “New Yorker of the Week” by NY1 for her work with children and the creator of bully-free zones in public schools. For over 20 years, she has served as a community organizer and activist. She is a wellness advocate and educator that teaches yoga, karate, and meditation in schools and colleges across Manhattan. She is the author of “Love Yourself, the Heck with Everyone Else” and guest speaker on Mind Body Medicine at Cornell Medical School.
Esther is a proud resident on the Upper East Side. She choose to raise her daughter Grace here. Grace played in John Jay Park and St. Catherine Park as a kid, and recently graduated from Bard College. Grace will begin her master’s degree next year. Esther is so grateful to the community. She could not have done it without the kindness of her neighbors, friends and community-at-large. Just one more reason why she wants to give back and make our district even better.
Esther has a passion for improving the community by working closely with voters and elected officials. “As I have always done in the past and continue to do today and everyday, I am committed – heart and soul – to working hard for all of you and for everyone on the Upper East Side and Roosevelt Island.”
Esther’s Experience Includes:
- Community Coordinator for the former Comptroller John Liu
- Board Member of Business Improvement Districts (BID) for Madison Avenue, Chinatown, and NoHo representing Comptroller John Liu
- Appointed as a public member of Community Boards 8, 6, 3, and 1 representing Comptroller John Liu
- Community Advisory Board Member for Bellevue Hospital where she helped to create the “Patient Bill of Rights”
- Organizer for the NYS National Organization for Women
- Founder of the Asian American Political Association, focusing on issues important to the AAPI community
- Core Energetics Psychotherapist, a Second-Degree Black Belt in Karate, Certified Scuba Diver, as well as, a Yoga, Movement, and Meditation teacher